close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for more than one program on the pre-application?
A:  Each program has it’s own application and requirements for applying.  The details and applications for each available program can be found on this website.  Any changes in your contact information listed on your original application need to be submitted in writing.
I'm homeless, I don't have an address.  What should I use?
A:  In order to process the application, an address must be provided.  You may use friends or family that you trust and have regular contact with as long as they are not receiving housing assistance.  You also may use emergency shelters (with their permission), PO Boxes, or general delivery (no cost, but you must talk to Post office and check regularly).
I applied in the past but was told I was dropped from the waiting list.  Why did I get dropped and do I have to reapply?
A: Most often, if a household was dropped from the waiting list, the HRA tried to reach them but was unable to due to change of address and/or phone.  Any changes in your contact information need to be submitted in writing.
I don't live in Clay County, why am I applying to them?
A:  The Homeless to Housed, Homework Starts with Home, and HRA Cares programs may be used in the West Central region of Minnesota.  Clay County HRA merely administers the grants.
Do I have to have case management/ARMHS services?
A:   For all Homeless programs, case management is strongly recommended, but not required.  In the cases of Prairie Horizons Townhomes and Gateway Gardens, services are provided on-site by CCRI, Inc.
I have had a change in my income, where I live, who is in my household, or my telephone number. What do I do?
All changes need to be submitted in writing to your HRA worker.  Additional forms may need to be completed.  Please leave your contact information and name of Head of Household so that your worker may contact you.
I need one time or short term assistance with rent.  What should I do?
Clay County Social Services Emergency Assistance should be your first contact.  Their number is 218-299-5200.
I need help finding and/or maintaining housing. Who can I ask for help?
A. If you are a MN resident with a disability who receives Medical Assistance, you can request Housing Stabilization Services.
Why am I not receiving mail from the HRA?
When you fill out an application, to ensure that you receive all updates from the HRA, please ensure that you provide a written notification of any update to phone numbers and mailing addresses.